Friday, March 11, 2005

Passion

It was an interesting, extremely busy week - Boston to Norfolk, VA to DC to Boston. I ended up with a cold at the end of the week, - seems like it is going around. We spent some time at Lockheed Martin's new Center of Innovation, which is a really cool place with a built in Lighthouse right in the center of it. They are defining what the next generation of distributed military systems will look like all in one building. Of course, they've selected the best Business Service Registry on the planet, the Systinet Registry, due to our very large deal with DISA's NCES program a couple of weeks ago.

So... I think I figured out the purpose of my blog. Three things that really interest me - the topic of life evolution (how one changes as they grow older and more mature), technology (particularly Semantic web and Service Oriented Architecture) and serial entrepreneurship. I'm going to try to direct my posts around these topics.

One of the ways I'd like to set the stage over the coming weeks is to chat a bit about two key tenets of the serial entrepreneur - "Passion" and "Sense of Urgency."

I'll start with some thoughts on "Passion" today.

Definitions of passion on the Web:

strong feeling or emotion

Synonyms:
heat: intense passion or emotion
rage: something that is desired intensely
mania: an irrational but irresistible motive for a belief or action

It's an interesting word and topic in general. In talking to our Founder, Roman Stanek, the other night over a drink, he really sparked my imagination on this topic. He said - if one has passion for a given goal, no matter what that goal is, they will likely accomplish it. When I really thought about it, - it's extremely true... for some. If you want to succeed, you need to be passionate about your goals. We also talked about "passionate people." Passionate people are the ones who fill a conversation with a burst of new energy, they are motivated to wake up every day and put 200% into whatever they do, and they typically measure success in different ways - some monetary, some "life based," some "society based," and so on.

If you're not passionate about what you're doing, get off the dime and do something about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Entre_Pilar said...

Hi Tim,

I came across your blog through a friend of mine, Graham. Your first entry is great, and I really like the way you set up the mission for your blog to be 3 key components you love.. I have to admit, I am not an 'evolutionary' aficionado, nor do I claim any 'techie' dexterity, however, my sweet point, is Entrepreneurship. :-) I am, like you, a serial entrepreneur, and have been born this way. I tried 'adapting' to the normal way of life by getting a 'real' job at a top big four, at the time it was a big six, consulting firm. However, this trajectory of insanity did not last long, in fact, I almost went nuts working for Uncle Andersen.. :-) I quitting my addiction by joining, "Entrepreneurs Anonymous," and their 12 stage program, but that did not work. I was still destined to have my own company. I finally accepted the reality, that I will always be an entrepreneur addicted to the rush or being on my own, running my show, and following my true PASSION. :-) Welcome aboard the BLOG world.

6:56 PM  
Blogger timbertrand said...

Thanks! I appreciate the comments and look forward to more in the future. I agree - we are a rare breed, - almost obsessive/compulsive with a hint of ADD :-)

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home