Monday, March 21, 2005

Work Ethic

Dating back to when I was a young boy, my father instilled in me that in order to get ahead in life, you have to work hard…harder than the next guy. Ever since that point in time, I’ve worked to my “boiling point” in everything I’ve ever done.

Having an intense work ethic is one of the key tenets of an entrepreneur, or an “entrepreneurial culture.” I define an entrepreneurial culture as an intense one, but yet it is one in which employees are able to achieve personal growth, one that promotes community & independence at the same time, one that instills trust in employees and one that allows for creativity. Lots of organizations, big and small alike, have begun to create programs that foster entrepreneurial spirit.

The intense work ethic of an entrepreneur is different than “workaholism” though (interesting article). There are people who “just work” all the time for the sake of working – as if it’s all they know. They don't typically tend to enjoy what they do, nor do they typically enjoy life all that much. Most entrepreneurs or participants in an entrepreneurial culture work because they have an insatiable desire to succeed and always keep the end goal in sight. Back to my earlier post - they are *passionate* about what they do. They also typically enjoy life and its beauties during the time that they are not working toward their goals. It's a much different paradigm.

Which one are you living in?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home