Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Competition

It's been a busy week so far, Boston to Dallas to Washington, - but I've had the time to do some thinking.

While at the auto races the other day (my father and I own a race team, I do some of the driving and we also have a very talented guy who drives one of our other cars) -- I had an epiphany. It happened while I was watching some fans root for their favorite driver and root against their least favorite driver. I then went back to the pits and saw all of the teams from our division strategizing...putting together the last minute plans to beat their competition.

Thinking about this over the last few days, I began to realize that competition drives just about all aspects of business and life. We compete for position on the highway and strategize how to get home the quickest. We compete for market share in our respective markets and develop strategies to out-gun the competition. We compete with our siblings when we are young and try to position as Mom or Dad's favorite. We compete with others at the airport to get the best position in line, and the list goes on and on and on...

It is certainly an interesting phenomenon. Maybe I'll take up "people watching" as a hobby to come up with more of these scenarios :-)!

2 Comments:

Blogger Milan Boruvka said...

Hi Tim,
I am European - this is the reason I do not know much about the motor sport discipline you are participating.

Could you post here in the future some pictures and photos (races, cars, technical details..).

Thanks ;)

7:18 AM  
Blogger timbertrand said...

Boruvek - check out www.timbertrand.com -- this is my racing website! Thanks!

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home