Monday, April 04, 2005

Sense of Urgency

The phrase "sense of urgency" has always interested me. It is a key tenet of any successful entrepreneur - and should be a key tenet of any good employee whether they're at a F500 or start-up company. In fact, when I interview people I always ask them to define "sense of urgency" and how it relates to their work habits.

In my mind - I would define "sense of urgency" as the following:

"One's intrinsic sense that drives them to focus on the 'what's next' in whatever life task or business task they are presented with."

A good example - we just finished a killer quarter at Systinet. I took a day or two to enjoy the success - and came into the office today as focused as ever regarding how to grow a bigger and better business in the future...

As I mentioned, I'm reading The Cluetrain Manifesto. It is a *fascinating* book. An interesting comment from the book:

"...companies that speak in the language of the pitch, the dog-and-pony show, are no longer speaking to anyone." The Cluetrain Manifesto

I'm off to Washington, DC for the day tomorrow, then back again to DC on Thursday.

More to come....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Marty said...

Tim, you hit the nail right on the head with this one. The difference between those who "get it" (whatever 'it' might be!) and and those who don't revolves around having a sense of urgency.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I understand the sense of urgency all too well. However, I have seen people take this entirely too far. I have seen people waste valuable time showing their bosses that they are 'getting the job done' by walking around fast and making mistakes by moving too fast to even define the problem. Define the problem, determine what you need to do, then let the sense of urgency kick in. Think first, then be urgent.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home